The Classification Branch is a Branch of the Australian Attorney-General’s Department, which is co-located with the Classification Board in Sydney. The Classification Branch provides operational and policy advice on classification issues to the Minister for Justice, provides secretariat services to the Classification Board and the Classification Review Board, promotes
compliance and provides classification training for both Boards, industry and government.
The Operations Section of the Classification Branch provides a range of administrative support services to ensure the smooth running of the classification process. These include:
- receiving and processing applications
- maintaining a public information database
- liaising with clients
- storing and securing materials and records
- administering the film festival exemption scheme.
The Compliance and Education team (including the former Classification Liaison Scheme) provide training and education services for industry and other stakeholders. Other services include:
- assisting retailers and distributors of publications, films and computer games to comply with their legal obligations under the National Classification Scheme,
- supporting the work of state and territory police and enforcement agencies
- checking on compliance with classification laws through a program of site visits
- investigating complaints about alleged breaches of classification legislation
- providing advice on the sale, display, labeling or advertising of products and other related matters
- providing education and training programs to industry and other stakeholders.
The Business Services Section provides a broad range of financial and information technology support, as well as general office services. Financial and office support services include appropriation and budget management, payment of account, receipts management, asset control, purchasing and general building services. This section also processes correspondence for the boards and the department.
The Policy and Research Section provides policy advice on classification matters to the Minister for Justice. The research function of this section ensures that a program of research is developed to assist with classification policy development.